The Running Man

According to Stephen King, “Outlines are the last resource of bad fiction writers”, but The Running Man is a book that would have vastly benefited from some careful planning. This novel feels too much like an opportunity missed, in a number of ways. As the title alone suggests, what you’d expect to be a fast-paced, action-packed thriller is instead a wee bit plodding and pedestrian (more of a walking man). I wanted a tale in which the protagonist is attacked relentlessly from all sides, at all times: something fast and trilling and terrifying.

The book is structured into one hundred sections, counting down form one hundred to zero (in fact that may be one-hundred-and-one sections in total). It’s the sort of literary device that might seem like a good idea in your head but in reality turns out to be tedious and cumbersome, and more of a hindrance than anything else. I couldn’t help thinking that much of what I was reading was mere filler to make up the numbers rather than important plot development; and I think this device is one of the reasons the story felt so sluggish and slow.

As with much of pre-1990s science fiction the author did not predict our increasing digitised world so the novel is full of references to traditionally printed media and the footage of the main character, needed to air on the TV show The Running Man, is filmed using a miniature cine camera and posted to the network each day. I don’t fault the book for its lack of prophesy but I cannot help contemplating a more modern rewrite in which the footage is livestreamed 24 hours a day. It would certainly alter the nature of the book and force the plot into different directions (and probably make a better book in the process).

This novel was originally published under King’s pseudonym Richard Bachman. According to what I have read the Bachman pseudonym was created so as not to flood the book market with Stephen King titles. So effectively this is a standard King novel published under a different name. However this book feels to be a mildly experimental side project rather than an official King release. I have read a few other King releases (far, far greater novels) and they felt a lot more polished than this book.

But I did finish the book; and I did reasonably enjoy it, but my patience was waning from about the middle to the three-quarter mark. The book gets a lot better at the end and this is probably where the best bits occur. While reading I was quietly critical of a hostage situation that sees the main character gain a lot of ground, which seemed implausible given the corruption the TV station is capable of; but this is eventually explained and it kind of annoys me how King managed to dupe me into perceiving a weakness that turned out to be something that actually enhanced the story.

For the sake of realism I think the main character should have been more violent and edgy from sleep deprivation. I found him far too lucid at times, despite the book telling me otherwise, and especially since he makes up his plan of action as he goes along, having no clear long-term strategy. Again a story outline could have helped to ensure the main character effectively and convincingly slips away from his sensibilities.

Overall I found this book a little bit too safe and uneventful when it could have been so much more.

Over and out for now, guys!

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mother!

The Day of the Triffids

The House that Jack Built